Tuesday, December 18, 2012

What A Great Week!



It was a blast playing the 12.12.12 Sandy benefit show and Saturday Night Live with Dave Grohl, Pat Smear and Paul McCartney. I really liked jamming with Pat and Dave again -- and what a great experience playing with Paul!

The collaboration came out of the Sound CIty film that was produced and directed by Dave. He asked me if I wanted to play with him, Pat and Paul? I said YES! It was a wonderful day -- Paul came in with this cigar box guitar and started playing some mean slide on it. He said it was in a "D". Hearing that, Grunge instincts took over my left hand and I dropped the E on the bass to D. Pat and Dave got into it and the tune took shape. Paul flashed a riff and we picked it up. I busted another one out and everyone picked it up. Things started coming together.

It was so exciting to play with Paul. I became seized with thoughts, for I hadn't played like that with Pat or Dave since the last Nirvana show in 1994. Wow, it was emotionally and musically heavy! Some other things brought me back; there was a Lefty on guitar who was a heck of a songwriter. Anyway, words can't really describe it and I returned to the task at hand. A new song was born! And that's about it. That's all it is -- a new song by some players who have doing it for a while.

The Sound City film is about people coming together to make music -- and I feel that's what we did. The Sandy Benefit was a lot of fun and it felt good to participate in a good cause. Don't have any crazy backstage stories -- Pat and Dave and I had this little corner of Madison Square Garden to hang out in. Except for Paul and his band, I didn't see any of the other big acts backstage. We got there around 5:30pm and waited until after midnight to play.

SNL was a blast. Martin Short was hilarious! My only disappointment was they actually cut a great skit from the broadcast. It was a great among greats so I guess that's what we get. (Watch it here!) I think that was our best performance of "Cut Me Some Slack" for the whole week.

Thanks for a great week to SAM management and the people who work with Paul McCartney. 

That's about it for now.  More tomorrow. -- Krist



14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for coming back with new music. I hope this is not the last piece of music that Dave, Pat and you gives to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic stuff krist! It was great to see you back on stage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such an honour to witness a fusion of the two greatest bands who changed the world! It always brings a smile to my face whenever you, Pat, and Dave play together again.. But the fact that you guys played with Sir Paul? wow. I'm always saying that I wished to be born in another decade, but it was a blessing to have been alive to watch you guys perform "Cut me some Slack" on 12/12/12; It was a great night, incredible song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for adding to the great memories Krist! Great seeing you back on the bass too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the music Krist, I watched the live stream all day at work here in Australia to see you guys play. So great to see the three of you back together on stage with Sir Paul. The song really blew me away and I hope there is more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to read that playing was as fun for you as watching was for me. I enjoyed the Sandy benefit, but admit the real reason I sat watching for 5 hours was to see the 4 of you play.
    I missed the SNL spot, but will watch online. I'm sure these experiences were slightly surreal for you, but at the same time how do you NOT jam with Paul McCartney? The song you played was really good as well. I enjoyed it & am happy the performances shut the negative people out there up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never met any of you guys so maybe this is a bit crazy but.. Nirvana's my favourite band and The Beatles my second favourite.. so watching you, Pat and Dave playing with Paul felt like "..there goes my boys with the motherfuckin' Mac". I hope you don't think that's stupid cause that's really how I felt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for getting back on stage again. I'm not sure what can be said that hasn't been said before. Always a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So you busted out the riff that starts on G sharp? That's my favorite part. So Nirvana. So Aerosmith ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, I cried seeing you guys together with Paul at the 12-12-12 concert. Kurt would have loved this especially having a Beatle taking his place for the night - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Krist, I must start out by saying that it was really, really great seeing you on stage, grooving out on your bass. Seriously. It made me cry happy tears. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw the irony of a lefty singing and playing guitar on stage with you. I bet it was a very emotional experience. When I hear "Cut Me Some Slack", I don't think of Nirvana or The Beatles or Paul; I simply think, "Damn, maybe rock n roll isn't dead after all." I'd like an entire album from y'all! And no "Thee Beatles" or "Sirvana" names needed. You guys have some awesome chemistry and daaaaaamn, Sir Paul can fucking sing a damn song. He's almost metal now! hahahha. I hope you enjoy your holiday season with your family and friends. Sincerely, Majesta from the mountains of Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your story Krist....but one question I have as a fellow bass player: how did it feel to be for a moment the bass player in a line up that included one of the best bassists ever?

    Whenever I see people jam around a Paul McCartney or a John Paul Jones or Phil Collins etc who are just singing or otherwise not on their usual instrument I always wonder what is going through the bassist/drummer etc's head.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm from Ecuador, please make a tour with nirvana to this country. Regards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Krist,i'm an italian fan.
    See you again on stage with Dave and Pat was A M A Z I N G ! ! !
    I'm an huge Nirvana and Beatles fan,And see members of my 2 favourites bands togheter on stage was an amazing and indescribable Feeling.Cut me some slack it's an awesome song!!
    Fans of all over the world want more songs from you guys with Sir Paul.We want an album!!And also a tour.Please please please!!!
    Greetings from Italy Krist,you're my favourite bass player and favourite Nirvana :)
    WE WANT YOU AGAIN ON STAGE!!
    (p.s. sorry for my bad english)

    ReplyDelete